The Top 3 Most Unique North Georgia Getaways
Top 3 North Georgia Getaways
Georgia is one of the original 13 U.S. colonies and a top tourist destination in the country. The state has so much to offer visitors as far as scenic and tourist destinations. Northern Georgia boasts some of the top destinations in the state. The top three northern Georgia getaways include the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest, Georgia wine country and the mountain town of Helen Georgia.
Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest
The Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest covers 18 counties in northern Georgia. It was established as a national park in 1936, and the U.S. government first purchased forest land here in 1911. The park covers more than 800,000 acres and is one of the top Georgia getaways for both local residents and travelers from around the country. The name was taken from the Native American tribes who originally inhabited the area. Chatta means stone and ho chee means marked or flowered.
The best places to visit inside the park include:
- The Dyar Pasture Recreation Area;
- Brasstown Bald, the tallest mountain in Georgia;
- The twin waterfalls of the Ann Ruby Falls Recreation Area;
- The Scull Shoals Historic Site;
- The Georgia leg of the Appalachian Trail;
- And the Track Rock Gap Petroglyph Site.
Georgia Wine Country
Most visitors to Georgia think about peaches before they think about grapes, but Georgia wine country is quickly growing in both size and quality. The majority of vineyards are clustered in the northern part of the state making this region perfect for a Georgia getaway. Combine both the lush scenery and recreational activities usually associated with northern Georgia and the burgeoning wine scene for a vacation to remember. The Winegrowers Association of Georgia offers links to wine country maps, event news and links to wineries to help plan your next trip.
You don’t have to visit the Alps to get a true Bavarian experience. Just go to Helen Georgia. This mountain town is an authentic recreation of a Bavarian mountain town complete with cobblestone streets, alpine architecture and a six-week long Oktoberfest each fall. The town hosts several events throughout the year and is a top Georgia getaway for those looking to see the autumnal foliage in all its glory. In Helen, visitors can enjoy a wide variety of adventure and fun from relaxing rounds of golf to exhilarating white water kayak or rafting trips. The town is also centrally located for day excursions into the Chattahoochee National Forest or wine country.
With several cabins in Helen Ga for rent, there are plenty of opportunities to get out and explore! So what are you waiting for?
- Things to Do
- Horseback Riding In Helen Georgia – Where To Go For The Best Adventure
- Top 3 Scenic Drives & 5 Top Sights To See In The North Georgia Mountains
- Winter Things To Do In And Around Helen
- There Are More Holidays To Celebrate in Helen Georgia Outside of Oktoberfest
- Richard Russell Scenic Highway – A Must See Near Helen, Georgia
- Strike It Rich In The Gold Mines In and Near Helen, Georgia
- Zip Lining Your Way To Fun In North Georgia: History, Safety, & Operators
- Golfing: Getting In A Little Tee Time While Enjoying Helen, Georgia
- All The Fun Things To Do With Your Pet In The North Georgia Mountains
- Turkey Hunting: Tips & Advice for Shooting In and Around Helen, Georgia
- Helen, Georgia Festivals & Other Things to Do During Spring Break
- 7 Creative Ideas for What To Do During Your Next Cabin Retreat
- Play Mini-Golf With Amazing Mountain Backdrop In Helen, Georgia
- Feel Like You’re in Germany When You Visit Helen, Georgia
- North Georgia is Filled With Extreme Sport Experiences: Here Are 3 To Choose From
- Here’s How To De-Stress and Relax While Visiting Helen, Georgia
- All The Interesting Bridges To Visit Around Helen, Georgia
- Things To Do With Kids