It’s a beautiful time of year when the air is crisp and cool, and the ground is carpeted with newly fallen snow. Children and the young at heart get excited as they look forward to the Christmas holiday. There is also nothing more romantic than a cozy evening sitting by a crackling fire, listening to the wind blow, and watching the snow fall outside your mountain cabin. Why not plan to spend a winter vacation in beautiful Helen GA and experience the season in a way that creates memories that will last a lifetime?
Photo Courtesy of Shutterstock
Escape To A Winter Wonderland In A Mountain Cabin Rental
Helen, GA decorated for the Christmas season can be like a winter wonderland, a perfect place for a mountain getaway. You can rent a cabin with a beautiful snow-capped mountain vista. Spend your days shopping in Helen, or hiking the winter trails to study animal tracks in the snow and observe winter wildlife in Smithgall Woods State Park where you can also get involved in activities such as Holiday Basket Weaving. Smithgall Woods State Park also has a Holi-Day Camp for kids ages six through twelve. In the evenings you could watch the sun set behind the mountains while you unwind in the hot tub, and for those intimate evenings, you could relax with your sweetie snuggling by a warm, cozy fire.
Cabins in Helen Ga in the winter can be the perfect getaway and a place to create a Christmas memory that will last forever.
Helen Georgia Is Transformed Into A Storybook Christmas Village In The Winter-time
The town is trimmed in Christmas finery with a taste of Old World Charm. Bavarian architecture, hand-painted German ornaments, and heritage lace add to the ambiance of an old-fashioned Christmas village. You can ride in a horse-drawn carriage through the streets of Helen, GA during Alpenfest when Christmas Carols are playing throughout the town and experience the Festival of Trees, Mountain Holiday Art Shows, and you can even pay a visit to Santa Claus in Town. Bring your camera, make some gorgeous photos, and create some personalized Christmas Cards.Cabins in Helen Ga in the winter can be the perfect getaway and a place to create a Christmas memory that will last forever.
Photo Courtesy of Shutterstock
Hiking In and Around Helen During Winter
Going on a hike in the surrounding region of Helen offers beautiful scenic views, visits to historical mining sites, and trails that go on for miles. One of these trails is the Appalachian Trail which has an access point near Amicalola Falls. This trail is over 2000 miles and travels through 14 different states. Of course, if you're not up for this challenge, don't fret, you can still hike a portion of it or make your way to another nearby scenic trail. Anna Ruby Falls and Dukes Creek Falls offer easy trails with stunning waterfall views. If you prefer a more challenging hike, there is the 5-mile trail at Raven Cliffs Falls.
Fishing The Rivers & Lakes
There are many excellent fishing holes in and around Helen. Whether you are looking to catch trout, catfish, bluegill or crappie there is a place for you. Smith Lake located in Unicoi State Park offers 44 acres of water with a large variety of fish in abundance. For river fishing, the Chattahoochee River is a gold mine for trout. Not only is the river quick to get to, but you can also fish with little restrictions there, which makes it a top choice among fishermen. You can also jump over to Duke's Creek where you can catch wild brown and rainbow trout.
Horse Back Riding
For horse lovers and riders there are several horse stables in and around Helen. On a guided tour suitable for your experience level, you can see the beautiful Appalachian mountains from a unique and fun perspective. Ride along the river and through the forest while you enjoy the peaceful sounds of nature. You can even learn some cowboy skills at Blanche Manor where you can partake in cattle roping, barrel racing and a horse obstacle course.
Stay With Cedar Creek Cabin Rentals
Explore Things to Do Articles & Resources
We've written several articles to help you plan the best romantic getaway in north Georgia. Explore our things to do hub, or visit the individual resources below.
- Things to Do
- Horseback Riding in Helen, Georgia - Where To Go For The Best Adventure
- Top 3 Scenic Drives & 5 Top Sites To See In The North Georgia Mountains
- There Are More Holidays To Celebrate in Helen Georgia Outside of Oktoberfest
- Richard Russell Scenic Highway - A Must See Near Helen, Georgia
- Strike It Rich In The Gold Mines In and Near Helen, Georgia
- Zip Lining Your Way To Fun In North Georgia: History, Safety, & Operators
- Golfing: Getting In A Little Tee Time While Enjoying Helen, Georgia
- All The Fun Things To Do With Your Pet In The North Georgia Mountains
- Turkey Hunting: Tips & Advice for Shooting In and Around Helen, Georgia
- Helen, Georgia Festivals & Other Things to Do During Spring Break
- 7 Creative Ideas for What To Do During Your Next Cabin Retreat
- Play Mini-Golf With Amazing Mountain Backdrop In Helen, Georgia
- Feel Like You're in Germany When You Visit Helen, Georgia
- The Top 3 Most Unique North Georgia Getaways
- North Georgia is Filled With Extreme Sport Experiences: Here Are 3 To Choose From
- Here's How To De-Stress and Relax While Visiting Helen, Georgia
- All The Interesting Bridges To Visit Around Helen, Georgia
- Things To Do With Kids
Share Your Thoughts Below
Have you been to Helen to celebrate Christmas or during the winter months? Leave us a comment below and tell us about some of the fun things you did in Helen.