Georgia is one of America's top tourist destinations, as well as specifically being a perfect place for lovers. Our mix of old-world charm, spectacular scenery, and unique boutique shops mean that there are always romantic getaways in Georgia just waiting to be explored.
In truth, lovers could spend their lives exploring the state and never see all its wonders, but let's boil things down a bit. We present the three most romantic vacation options in the state. If you're anywhere nearby, Georgia is easy to get to and full of spectacular adventures for you and your lover.
The Three Top Romantic Getaways In Georgia
I. Helen, GA - A Romantic Getaway In The North Georgia Mountains
Helen, Georgia isn't just one of the most romantic places in Georgia, it's one of the most romantic places in the country.
The local mixture of mountains, forests, and water features is already one of the most spectacular you'll find anywhere, and on top of that, Helen herself is a truly unique attraction. It's the most charming Bavarian-style village you're likely to see, and it's absolutely perfect for a romantic vacation in the North Georgia mountains.
Romantic Places To Stay In Helen, GA
There are numerous romantic hotels in Helen. Some of our favorites include:
- The Heidi Hotel: One of Helen's most instantly recognizable landmarks is the large working windmill at the end of Main Street. What many don't realize is the windmill houses a full luxury hotel room. You don't get much more romantic than that.
- The Helendorf: Helen's most celebrated hotel is nestled alongside the Chattahoochee River, giving amazing views to the rooms. Its restaurant features low lighting and an expansive deck that keeps you neat to nature, even as romance blooms over dinner.
- Alpine Crest Resort: For old-world beauty and five-star amenities, the Alpine is the choice for lovers in Helen. Its wood-and-leather rooms feature hot tubs, saunas, fast Internet access, and all the extras while still retaining that rustic feel.
However, they pale in comparison to renting a real cabin for couples in Helen. Our mountain landscape and clear air are even better out of town, in the foothills, where you and your lover can be truly alone with nature. A week in a Helen cabin is perfect for an anniversary, honeymoon, or just for a particularly private getaway with your special someone.
Romantic Things For Couples To Do In Helen, GA
There are plenty of attractions for lovers in Helen! Helen features a thriving local crafts scene, with numerous artesans, woodcutters, glass-blowers, and handmade food products of staggering variety. You could spend days just exploring the shopping options in the area, along with all the romantic restaurants nestled in Helen.
Or, for nature lovers, you won't find a better selection of outdoor activities anywhere else. There are river walks, rafting opportunities, plenty of wildlife, and even balloon tours! Whether by land, sea, or air, you can explore the wilderness with your lover by your side.
How To Get To Helen, Georgia
Helen is conveniently located in North Georgia, only about 90 minutes from Atlanta. It's also within 2-3 hours of several major cities in neighboring states, including Greenville SC, Chattanooga TN, and Birmingham AL.
From Atlanta, simply take I-85 North to Exit 113 for Gainesville, on I-985. After forty-two miles, turn left onto Highway 384 and follow it for sixteen miles to Highway 75. Follow the signs to Helen, which is only three miles away.
Those coming in from the north are advised to follow signs to nearby Dahlonega GA, then follow the signs to Helen.
II. Callaway Gardens - Your Couples' Retreat In Pine Mountain, Georgia
Only about an hour south of Atlanta, Callaway Gardens is another of the most romantic places in Georgia with 6,500 gorgeous acres of gardens, animals, and nature preserves. The Gardens were first founded in 1952, and have only grown bigger and better as the Callaways have improved it over the years.
Romantic Places To Stay Near Callaway Gardens
There are four great romantic hotels near Callaway Gardens, all offering admission as part of the package.
- The Mountain Creek Inn: This affordable, family-friendly location offers restaurants, buffets, full Internet access, a 10,000 square foot ballroom, and spacious rooms with great views of the area. It's perfect for romantic getaways with the kids along.
- Southern Pine Cottages: These charming cottages and cabins near Callaway Gardens feature spectacular foliage and roomy spaces that offer all the comforts of home, including a full kitchen, screened porches, and a dedicated kitchen.
- The Mountain Creek Villas: For a true home-away-from-home, the Mountain Creek Villas offer luxury rental housing nestled in the romantic Georgia hills. Some even border a golf course, if someone wants to hit the links.
- The Lodge And Spa: Managed as part of Marriott's Signature Series of hotels, the Lodge and Spa allows you to enjoy Callaway Gardens in the lap of luxury, in one of Georgia's most spectacular resort hotels.
Romantic Things For Couples To Do At Callaway Gardens
The real couples attractions near Callaway Gardens are the grounds themselves. You and your lover have numerous options to explore this unique and beautiful nature preserve. Their walking trails include several miles of amazing plant life, flowing rivers, and secluded pagodas. Or, check out Robin Lake Beach - it's more than a mile long, made of pure white sand, and the largest man-made beach in the country.
However, we especially recommend the Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center for one of the best collections of our fluttering friends in the world. There are more than 50 species, and over a thousand individuals. It's a sight that truly cannot be put into words.
There are plenty of romantic restaurants around Callaway Gardens as well, with six different restaurants on-site or, even better, the potential for secluded picnics on the grounds themselves!
How To Get To Callaway Gardens
Going on a lover's trip to Callaway Gardens couldn't be easier. It's a straight shot south down I-85 from Atlanta for about an hour, then turn onto US-27 South for the last ten miles. The signs will guide you straight to Callaway Gardens.
III. Savannah, GA - A Georgia Romantic Getaway In The City
For those who prefer the city life, old Savannah is a snapshot of America's past, still perfectly preserved today. It's the oldest city in Georgia, and was the state's first Capitol. It's full of amazing antebellum architecture, attitudes, stonework, fountains, and natural features. A trip to Savannah is like a trip back in time.
The "Hostess City Of The South" also has one of the largest national historic site districts in the country, making it truly unique among Georgia romantic getaways.
Romantic Places To Stay In Savannah, Georgia
There are a lot of options for vacation rentals in Savannah, and a lot of hotels for couples - especially in the historic district. For example, the Gastonian is world-renowned for its Victorian-era architecture, preserving some of the most decadent and romantic stylings in art history. Or, look at the Hamilton-Turner Inn, known for its jaw-dropping front facade and amazing accommodations.
If you prefer something a bit more modern, or outside the tourist-heavy downtown area, we recommend The Mansion in Forsyth Park, one of the most exclusive boutique hotels in the country. Or, try the Bohemian Hotel with its romantic views of the Savannah River.
Romantic Things For Couples To Do In Savannah, GA
There are far too many options for couples dining in Savannah Georgia to cover here, but these are a few of our favorites:
- Noble Fare: This exclusive restaurant features truly unique old-America architecture, an alluring purple-and-pink atmosphere, and beautiful platings. This isn't for a casual meal - this is for a honeymoon or other holiday you'll remember for years to come.
- The Firefly: For a more low-key romantic meal, the Firefly is an excellent Italian bistro nestled in the heart of the historic district. If you can grab an outside table at dusk, you'll have an amazing view of downtown and a great start to a lover's meal.
- Vic's On The River: Our pick for best riverside dining is Vic's, with intimate candlelit tables nestled under the eaves of trees and the river flowing softly beside. The food is excellent, and the vibe is so peaceful you'd barely believe you were still in the city!
Or, if you're looking for romantic activities, the historic downtown district is full of them. You'll rarely have such an opportunity to see 19th Century Southern architecture kept in its prime, or have so many tiny boutique shops to explore. It's an amazing location, with treasures and memories to last a lifetime.
How To Get To Savannah, GA
Savannah is located on Georgia's south-eastern Gulf Coast, at the junction of I-95 and I-16.
Folks coming in from Florida should head to Jacksonville, and then north on I-95. Those coming from Atlanta should take I-75 South to Macon, then get onto I-16 East from there. From the Charleston area, it's best to take Highway 17 West until it reaches I-95 South.
Georgia Is For Lovers!
Don't take our word for it - come see for yourself. Few states in the Union have this combination of atmosphere, nature, people, and shopping opportunities. Whether it's from a balloon above the Mountains, in historic downtown Savannah, or in a secluded cabin in the woods outside Helen, Georgia has something to enchant every couple. So, don't wait, start planning your romantic getaways in Georgia now!